In 2014, Erik Wernquist released a short film about his vision of our future called “Wanderers”. It shows an incredible and wondrous future that sets no limits on what we can do and on what we might become. Every bit of it is within our reach. The only thing that is missing is the vision on how to make that first step, the step from the surface of the Earth to orbit and to escape velocity, affordable to everyone.
Think about that as you watch it.
All it will take to make this happen in the real world are the four components of a combination launch system. Components that can be affordably built right now with existing materials and technology. Four components that will give us an unlimited future.
In the closing lines of the film, it says,
“Maybe it’s a little early, maybe the time is not quite yet, but those are the worlds promising untold opportunity. [They] beckon. Silently they orbit the sun . . . . waiting.”
Why are we waiting?
Index of Articles
- Opening the High Frontier
- Skyhook, a Journey to Orbit and Beyond
- In the Beginning . . .
- Why do Rockets Cost so Much?
- Combination Launch Systems
- It’s All About Speed!
- Visions of the Future
- The Call of an Unlimited Future
- Combination Launch Systems, part 2
- Outward Bound: Beyond Low Earth Orbit
- and someday . . . Starships!
- Mars: how to get there
- Outpost Space Stations
- Dreams of Space
- The Moon or Mars?
- Skyhooks and Space Elevators